Event Planning


How can I reserve space for meetings and/or events for my organization?
Due to class schedules and academic activities, each building and/or venue on campus has a different scheduler or Building Representative. For a list of contacts and venues, please go to http://registrar.sas.cornell.edu/Sched/roomres.html.

For information on reserving space in one of the Community Centers (Noyes, Appel Commons, or Robert Purcell), go to http://www.campuslife.cornell.edu/campuslife/communitycenters/reserve-a-room.cfm. Note that most on-going classroom reservations are done by semester. Check with the building coordinator for information on your reservation.

How do I know if I need to register my event/program?
We recommend adding your event to the Cornell event calendar as soon as you have a date reserved. In addition, any event or program which meets one or more of the following criteria must be registered using the Event Registration Form (formerly Use of University Property or UUP):

  1. Any event held outdoors (with the exception of tabling on Ho Plaza);
  2. Any event that includes sales or fund-raising;
  3. Any event that is held in a venue with a capacity of 200 or more people;
  4. Any event that involves the consumption of alcoholic beverages or food; or
  5. Any event that may be considered unusual or potentially risky (i.e., controversial speakers).

If you are not sure if your event should be registered, contract the Student Activities Office at 255-4169.

Can someone help me plan an event?
The Events Management Planning Team (EMPT) is a group of Cornell University staff members who can assist you with the details of planning your event.

Diversity and Access
Please consider the needs of all potential attendees when planning an event. For more information, please visit the Office of Diversity and Inclusion website.

What fees should I be aware of when planning an event?
In general, you should be prepared to pay fees for:

  • Room rental (some venues)
  • Set-up and tear-down (Housekeeping)
  • Facilities Work Orders
  • Catering
  • Parking Permits
  • CUPD (if necessary)
  • Accessibility needs (i.e. sign language interpreters, if necessary)

Sometimes some fees do not apply, depending on the specific needs of each event.

Media and Press
If you feel that your event will attract media attention to campus (e.g. controversial topics, large scale events, etc.), please contact the Press Relations Office. We request all media check in with the Cornell Press Office prior to arriving on campus. Please call 607.255.6074 for more information.

If your event is going to be advertised to the general public, please be aware of Cornell's official branding guidelines. For more information, go to the University Brand Book website.

Where can I find a list of Cornell policies and procedures?
A complete list of Cornell's policies and procedures can be found at Cornell University Policy Office's website.

What do I need to do if I want to use Cornell's name, logo, or artwork?
We recommend that you include the Cornell logo on all of your invitations, posters, advertising or other printed material. Downloadable assets and design guidelines for using the logo can be found online at http://brand.cornell.edu.

The use of Cornell's name, logo, and artwork must be approved prior to being printed on any merchandise and/or novelty item (this does not include posters). Only approved vendors may print Cornell's name, logo and artwork. More information: obtaining approval to use Cornell branding on manufactured items.

What should I do if I want to hold a fundraiser and/or sell merchandise on campus?
You will need to receive approval for any type of fundraiser or sale on campus. You will need to complete the Event Registration Form.

Can I have alcohol at my event?
Alcohol is permitted at certain events on campus. For more information, view Cornell's alcohol policy. All events with alcohol (regardless of the sponsor) must be registered using the Event Registration Form.